- 5cups roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram) , washed and drained
- 1 tsp low-fat butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk (99.7% fat-free)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch)
- Combine 4 cups of water along with tomatoes and moong dal in a deep non-stick kadhai and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the tomatoes are soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth mixture. Do not strain and keep aside. Heat the butter in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn light brown in colour. Add the tomato mixture, sugar, low-fat milk, salt and pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil, while stirring occasionally and simmer for 5 minutes.