Moong dal Khichdi
- 1/2 cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice (chawal)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 25 mm (1”) stick cinnamon
- 1 bayleaf (tejpatta)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup chopped brinjal(baingan / eggplant)
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped french beans
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal and rice in enough water for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon and bayleaf.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add all the vegetables, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and moong dal, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of hot water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and mix well. Serve hot.